Monday, July 4, 2011

Super Taco

Well, today was a good day. Things looked bleak when the rain started, but my brother Evan and I decided to make the best of it. We went to Taco Bell and then to see Super 8 in theaters.

We had a bit of a drive from Taco Bell to the theater, so we ended up leaving really early and getting to the theater about an hour ahead of time. That was also because we were thinking about going to see Cars 2, but we both decided that we really wanted to see Super 8.

To kill our extra hour we went to the Wal-Mart down the road and hung out in the gaming section for the entirety of the time. I saw these in Wal-Mart though and thought they were interesting:


I wasn't sure whether I thought these were laughable or interesting. On the one hand they looked cool just because they were all pretty colors, but on the other hand....REALLY?!! lol.

Anyway, in the game section of Wal-Mart I spent some time mooning over the 3DS and wishing I could buy it, and Evan and I browsed the game selection. But we spent most of the hour in Wal-Mart playing Mario Baseball (actually Evan played, I watched).
It was a pretty cool and fun game.



At 7:30 we finally headed back to the theater and watched the film we came there to see: Super 8.
It was brilliant. I really, really enjoyed it. One of the best written movies, and most compelling I've seen in a while. Not since Tangled have I wanted to watch a movie immediately again after finishing it. The production quality was superb, and the action gave me chills. Most of the time seeing action I don't care all that much. This action had a specific purpose and a real impact.
The kids were very good too and the acting was phenomenal. I was also very pleased with the slow reveal of the movie. You don't know what's going on and it keeps you in the dark a long time so that it unfolds satisfactorily, rather than a really quick, cheap blockbuster reveal.
The writing I think is the best thing about this movie. It has all of the ear marks of a sci-fi extra-terrestrial film, but it is unpredictable, fresh, and original in the telling. In other words, it's just cliche enough and just original enough. I hope that I get to see it in theaters at least one more time...it's worth another $10. And it's one of those movies I want everyone I know to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment