Sunday, August 8, 2010

Onerie Crackerbagel

Well today was a crazy day, let me tell ya.

Yesterday I planned all day with my friends Stephen and Mitch (two of my best friends in the whole world) to go to Pennsylvania to visit good ol' David. We were planning to meet up around 5:30 after Mitch got off work. Stephen and Mitch were planning on coming to my house and then we would all three drive to Cabala's in PA to meet David and get some Taco Bell afterwards.

Now, since this was such an epic undertaking of friend escapades (definition: an act or incident involving excitement, daring, or adventure), under normal circumstances I would have been dancing on the walls like a yellow monkey with a sugar fetish. But since I got a macbook pro and Ipod touch the other day, I was actually enjoying messing around on those while I was waiting for Mitch and Stephen to come over. I also had some chores to do. I took the siblings to a piano lesson in the morning, and then got a spanish driving manual for Angie so she can get a drivers license. So the day actually went by pretty quickly! See that? I can be positive!

Well, 5:30 came and went and Stephen and Mitch still weren't at my house. It was right around 5, I think, that Stephen texted me saying that Mitch only just left. So they didn't actually get to my house until around 6 or so. But it wasn't too bad. We hung out getting drinks and a few last minute things for a little bit, and then we were on the road for an hour and a half drive to the center of PA.

Now the conversations on the way made the trip go by pretty quickly. What's a car ride to old friends except and excellent time to retell inside jokes, debate pointless things, and tell stories. On the way to Cabela's we talked about memorizing the Great Lakes. Mitch said a good way was to say "Super Man Helps Every One" for each of the lake names. Stephen thought he could come up with a better one, or perhaps was just joking. I wasn't even sure what they were talking about at the time. I was just trying to keep the car in the lane while I laughed hysterically at the whole thing. Stephen started saying, "Or you could just remember them by saying--Oneriorie Michigander, or michigander-erie-orie-huroner" It was something like that. Mitch started joining in with him and it just started becoming ridiculous very quickly.
After that, Stephen was talking about going to Cabela's and looking at the guns. He said he'd go to the guys at the counter (we didn't know that the guns would be on racks out in the open) and say, "Hey, um yes, I'd like to see a couple of guns-- all of them please." Or something like that. He talked about guns a lot. Apparently he's rather obsessed with them. I didn't even know that.

I can't remember all we talked about, but we saw some interesting sights on the way over as well. We saw a man driving a limo with slicked back gray hair and a thin mustache, and he was smoking a cigarette and he was surrounded by a cloud of smoke. I didn't get a good look at him. I was driving, remember? We also saw someone who Mitch said looked like some celebrity or something. I forget who it was...But it wasn't really them. Anyway, it was an eventful car ride.

When we finally got to Cabela's we had to wait for David a little bit because he wasn't there yet. Stephen was positive he'd seen a statue of a bear outside of Cabela's from the highway on one of his long drives. Because of that, he wanted to sort out an inner psychological identification he has with bears and projecting himself as bears and fighting himself as a bear or something. It was really just another inside joke. You probably had to be there. Anyway, we started exploring the perimeter of the building, trying to find this bear statue, and we soon came to three conclusions.
1) Cabela's is huge and looks sort of like a college campus on the side (at least, a community college or a NJ college).
2) We saw a rabbit that we decided was probably the smartest rabbit in the world. He was hiding out at a hunting and guns supplier. He probably figured if he lived here, all the hunters would go out into the forests and hunt the other animals, but none of them would ever come here to hunt this rabbit. He probably even scopes out all the new models of weapons and traps so he knows what they look like and how to avoid them.
3) The bear statues were not at this Cabela's. We got all around the building, and all we found was a magazine insert and some animal droppings that Stephen stepped in with his flip-flops.

We went into the store and started looking at all the dead animals stood up on display, and then we got a call from David saying he was here. He came in and met us at the mountain at the center of the building, and there were hugs all around! We spent a few more minutes there and then decided we all didn't want to be there anymore. I had to try to find some venison jerkey for a friend though, so Mitch and I went off to try to find some, searching in vain, and David and Stephen went and played with the guns.

After Mitch and I came back without any jerkey we joined David and Stephen in picking up guns and marveling at how awesome they were. Stephen wanted to make a gun library in his future house. I think this is a good idea.

After that we went to the crakerbagel for dinner. It wasn't as awesome as taco bell would have been, but the reuben sandwich I had was pretty good. The service could have been better, and we were all starving while we waited for a very long time for our food.

We went back to David's house after that and I discussed my college with Stephen, while David and Mitch drove home in David's car. When we got to the house we sat and talked for a bit, and then had a campfire. We soon had a hearty blaze, and went on to read some bad horror stories and ghost stories around the campfire while we made smores and burned sticks. The stories were awful, the chocolate was frozen, and the company was excellent.After the campfire and the pointless and embarrassingly crafted stories, we watched Jumanji and then went to bed.

If you've been paying attention, you'll probably notice that I haven't talked about today at all, but I'm just going to leave my introduction the way it is, because I'm lazy and it's funnier that way. If you want to hear about what happened today, you'll have to tune in next time!

1 comment:

  1. The best line in this entry: "The stories were awful, the chocolate was frozen, and the company was excellent."

    ReplyDelete